In this article, we will deeply explore the topic of Örgryte New Church and analyze its impact on different aspects of society. Örgryte New Church has been the subject of interest and debate for a long time, and it is important to understand its implications in today's world. Throughout these pages, we will analyze different perspectives on Örgryte New Church, from the historical point of view to its relevance today. Let's examine how Örgryte New Church has evolved over time and how it has influenced the way we think and act. Likewise, we will analyze current and future trends related to Örgryte New Church, and how these could affect different aspects of our society.
Örgryte New Church | |
---|---|
![]() Örgryte New Church in May 2011 | |
57°42′10″N 12°00′19″E / 57.7029°N 12.0054°E | |
Location | Gothenburg |
Country | Sweden |
Denomination | Church of Sweden |
History | |
Consecrated | 6 July 1890 |
Architecture | |
Style | Gothic |
Groundbreaking | 1888 |
Administration | |
Archdiocese | Diocese of Gothenburg |
Örgryte New Church (Swedish: Örgryte nya kyrka) is a Gothic-style church located within the Örgryte congregation (Swedish: Örgryte församling) in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Beginning in 1870, the churchgoers of Örgryte began planning a major project, as their existing 400-seat church could no longer accommodate the growing congregation. In 1885, under the leadership of Reverend Magnus Ekberg, plans for a new church were proposed. Donations were collected and the church took out a loan of SEK 50,000 to meet the estimated costs. Among the donors were merchant David Lundstrom of Underås farm, James Dickson, David Carnegie and Oscar Ekman. The new brick church was designed to seat over 1,000 people, more than twice that of the previous one. To ensure a stable foundation, the church was built on Svalberget. Local brewer JW Lyckholm of Skår financed two of its bells, Captain Pontus Virgin of Kålltorp paid for the altar while the stained glass windows were donated by the wholesaler Peter Hammarberg.
The architect was Adrian C. Peterson,[1] and the builder was F.O. Peterson. Work began in the summer of 1888, and the church was consecrated on July 6, 1890 by bishop Edvard Rodhe. The final cost was 226,000 SEK, with donations covering slightly more than 120,000 SEK. The remaining amount was funded partially through the church's loan of SEK 50,000.
The church was built in red Börringe Brick from Skåne, and it did not have electricity until 1908.[2][3] The facades have rich tegelornering, stone moldings, and forgings.
Because of the nature of the plot, the church is oriented northeast–southwest. It features a cross-shaped layout with open rafters and vaulted, pentagonal chancels. The church tower is almost 60 meters tall.
A thorough restoration took place in 1937 under A. Forsséns line, and the pulpit was moved. In 1952, four painted circular windows of the chancel were transferred to the stands, while other painted korfönster (stained glass) from 1889.
The church has two organs:
![]() | You can help expand this section with text translated from the corresponding article in Swedish. (November 2024) Click for important translation instructions.
|
The church tower has two bells, each with the inscription:[citation needed]
The larger bell has the inscription:
And the smaller one reads:
In 1950, the church painter Thor Fagerkvist (1884–1960) was commissioned to paint an altarpiece for the church.[4] It would replace Carl Johan Dyfverman's crucifixion group from 1890. It was a triptych consisting of five oil paintings on canvas, three of which are usually visible with pictures related to Christmas, Easter and Pentecost, while the cabinet is closed during Lent, and then shows the other two paintings, photographed wagon and no Gethsemane.[clarification needed] The frame was designed by architect Axel Forssén.
The great altar of cut oak wood was placed in the sanctuary of the church in 1890 and is the work of Dyfverman. The subject is the crucified Jesus with Mary Magdalene, the other Mary and the disciple John, beneath the cross. The sculpture was painted in 1923, and in 1969, it was restored by artwork conservator Torsten Öhlén. The crucifixion group[clarification needed] was moved in 1951 to its current location in the transept.
A crucifix made of ivory and ebony stands on the altar. The crucifix was created in 1952 by the Gothenburg based sculptor Henry Johansson.[clarification needed]
The baptismal font was designed by architect Axel Forssén. Dean Ekberg's successor, Reverend Magnus Nilman (1855–1927), donated it along with dopfatet of copper to the new church in 1927, when was returned while the maroon kalkstensfunten[spelling?] to the old church.[clarification needed]
Media related to Örgryte nya kyrka at Wikimedia Commons